Sunday 10 August 2008

mf - week 02 - some favourite things


David Harris presented a work of his for string quartet, Terra Rapta, as recorded live by the Grainger Quartet.
It had some very lovely timbres. I would quite like to "remix" the piece (ie process the f**k out of it) and play with some of those interesting timbres. Oh if only I had time to do what I wanted.
EDIT: I just noticed the amusing contrast of timbre and chainsaw :P

Also a Schubert string quartet (from the same performance).
When listening to "classical" pieces, I often note the one bar of prime minimalist material that flashes by - if only I could quickly rip and edit and capture that bar , I would have an amazingly beautiful and repetitive moment to repeat - and perhaps intersperse with another bar...

Mmmm, I recall someone telling me of a composer whom took all his favourite bars from potentially a Beethoven piece, and reworked them into a new order. The only thing is he then scored it all and got someone else to play it !! OMG where is the technology ?!

Some of my current favourite things :
sunshowers - I have seen more of these during this winter than I have for possibly the last 15 years... delicate/thin drops of rain vectoring along the current gust direction catching the sun making the air glow.
synthesisers - been reading a history of the Moog. Synthesis is just the bomb !!!
my daughter - Raven is now 1 and a little, talks with a little interpereting and wanders around with her mouth wide open laughing manically.
max/msp - related to synthesisers really. I've been daydreaming about writing extended equations that will synthesise weirdly morphing square waves with no use of its own oscillator style objects.
coffee - I also have to bear its scar as an addiction.
chainsaws - bloody good fun, but a bit scary sometimes.
rocket and silverbeet from the garden - wet with raindrops and green !!





David Harris, "Music Technology Forum: Semester 2 - Week 2 ". Lecture presented at the University of Adelaide, South Australia, 07th July 2008


Stephen Whittington, "Music Technology Forum: Semester 2 - Week 2 ". Lecture presented at the University of Adelaide, South Australia, 07th July 2008

No comments: